The Night Sister and some Jennifer McMahon gushing

The last book I finished was The Night Sister by Jennifer McMahon. I got hooked on her stories after I read Don't Breathe a Word last summer and promptly devoured two more of her novels. The Night Sister was the first personal book purchase I made recently after only buying for the shop for more than a year!

Honestly, I liked this one the least of her books I've read, but that doesn't mean I disliked it- if that makes sense? Here's the definitive Courtney/Quiet City ranking of Jennifer McMahon's books thus far:

4. The Night Sister 
3. Promise Not to Tell
2. Don't Breathe a Word
1. The Winter People

When you pick up one of her books you have to do it with a clear schedule because all you're going to want to do is keep reading until you've eaten the last page. Her genre is mystery/thriller/suspense and what I love about her stories is their supernatural and magical elements- ghosts, fairies, shape shifters, and the like. Magic realism is one of my favorite genres as of late, and I'm looking forward to reading everything Ms. McMahon can offer. I just need to pace myself so I don't run out of the fun too soon. 

Set in Vermont, The Night Sister tells the story of a gory tragedy that brings sisters Piper and Margot together again to mourn and investigate for their dead friend Amy. The narration flits between the '50s, '60s, '80s, and present day to unravel Amy's family secrets that led to her brutal death. There are some serious, "WHOA, WHAT?" moments that really work for the story, and I think I just didn't love how *some* of the backstory was revealed. However, I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a fast and fun read with shades of darkness. 

A very gently used copy of The Night Sister is available at Quiet City, plus a handful of her other novels (including those mentioned above). 



Comments

Popular Posts